After the chaos with the new electronic cards with commuters to spend hours on queues waiting for their issue, the Athens public transport organization OASA decided to introduce an alternative procedure in order to speed up the issuing process and eliminate the long queues. while they’re waiting to replace their old paper cards with the new electronic card, the so-called ATH.ENA Card..
The new procedure refers to personalized electronic cards for the public transport means in Athens. The new electronic cards will be sent to applicants per post.
According to amna.gr, the new procedure will be available as of next Monday, October 16th 2017.
Holders of full-price monthly commuters cards will be able to apply for the new electronic cards (which will be needed when the new ticket barriers go into operation) at all ticket offices on metro lines 1, 2 and 3, submitting an open envelope containing the supporting documents and other items needed.
These will include:
- One passport or ID photograph
- A photocopy of a document certifying the applicant’s AMKA (social security number)
- A photocopy of the old paper monthly and the October travel coupon, or other coupon issued in 2017
- A printout of the application and QR code issued via the OASA website www.athenacard.gr
- The name of the applicant and the address where the new electronic card should be sent must be written on the outside of the envelope, which will be used to post the card to the applicant once it is issued.
Once the new card has arrived in the post, the card holder will be able to load their card and buy any fare products needed at the automated ticket-vending machines in all stations and selected locations in Athens. More information on specific locations is available via the athenacard web-page.
The new electronic cards will be essential when the new ticket barriers go into operation at metro and urban train stations.