A Greek mother and her two children are among the injured in Barcelona terror attack. The father is in good health, Greek media report citing the Greek Consulate in Barcelona. According to state broadcaster ERT TV, the children are slightly injured. No further details have been leaked, so far.
Later, the number of injured Greek tourists was limited to one. The Greek Foreign Ministry said in a statement that only the mother was injured and that the children were fine.
Update: On Friday, an employee at the Greek consulate in Barcelona clarified that the mother was Greek with German nationality and that both children had a dual citizenship. The father is said to be German.
The health condition of the woman is considered critical after a 7-hour long surgery in the head. One of the children, a girl, is also hospitalized after suffering injuries during the terror attack, Greek media report.
Barcelona is top tourist destination in Spain, famous promenade Las Ramblas was full of people when a white van ploughed directly through the middle of the crowds in high speed at 5 o’ clock Thursday afternoon.
Spanish authorities confirmed that 13 people were killed and 50 injured.
+++ According to latest information, the number of injured was 80. Some of them are reportedly seriously injured. According to some Greek media, the Greek mother is considered to be seriously injured.
Raw footage of the attack scene uploaded on social media show several people lying injured on the street and pavements. Some of them are heavily bleeding.
Spanish police has detained a suspect in connection with the attack. The man named as Driss Oukabir has allegedly rented the van used in the attack. Oukabir had rented the van in the small town of Santa Perpetua de Mogoda, some 25 kilometers north of Barcelona.
He is of Moroccan descent from Marseilles in France and has been living in the Catalan city of Girona, local media reported.
Regional police have also located a second van thought to have a possible link to the attack in the town of Vic, some 60 kilometers north of Barcelona.
Spanish police said at 9 p.m. that there was a hostage situation by one or two attackers in the Turkish restaurant Luna de Istanbul.
According to local reports, one of the attackers was dead in shootout with police.
It was unclear, whether the shootout was in connection with an incident involving a white Ford Focus refusing to stop at a police checkpoint on the outskirts of the city.
Local media said that at about 7.30pm local time a vehicle ran over two agents of the Mossos d’Esquadra police force in in Esplugues de Llobregat.
+++ One more suspect had been detained.
ISIS has claimed responsibility for the attack with a post on its website.