Travel planning and booking site TripAdvisor announced the winners of its Travelers’ Choice awards for Museums. The Acropolis Museum in Athens ranks 6th on the list of World’s Top 10 Museums.
Award winners were determined using an algorithm that took into account the quantity and quality of reviews and ratings for museums worldwide, gathered over a 12-month period.
TripAdvisor also highlighted bookable experiences for each winning museum.
“Travelers can learn more about local culture and make trips more memorable by visiting famous museums,” said Brooke Ferencsik, senior director of communications for TripAdvisor.
“This year’s award winning museums serve as inspiration for travelers wanting to join the trend and discover some of the world’s finest collections of art, science, culture and history.”
Top 10 Museums in the World:
1. Musee d’Orsay – Paris, France
2. The National 9/11 Memorial & Museum – New York City, New York
3. The Metropolitan Museum of Art – New York City, New York
4. The British Museum – London, United Kingdom
5. Prado National Museum – Madrid, Spain
6. Acropolis Museum – Athens, Greece
7. Louvre Museum – Paris, France
8. The National WWII Museum – New Orleans, Louisiana
9. National Museum of Anthropology – Mexico City, Mexico
10. War Remnants Museum – Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam
The Acropolis Museum also ranked fourth in Europe among 25 museums, with Musée d’Orsay ranking first; the British Museum second and the Prado National Museum third on the TripAdvisor list.
Furthermore, it topped the list of the Top 10 Museums in Greece.
Top 10 Museums – Greece
1 Acropolis Museum, Athens
2 Heraklion Archaeological Museum, Heraklion, Crete
3 National Archaeological Museum, Athens
4 Greek National Football Team Museum, Chania, Crete
5 Cyclades Olive Museum, Andros
6 Silversmithing Museum, Ioannina
7 Municipal Museum of the Kalavritan Holocaust, Kalavryta
8 Folk Art Museum Tossizza Mansion, Metsovo
9 PavlosVrellis Museum of Greek History, Ioannina
10 Delphi Archaeological Museum, Delphi