According to the Greek Health Ministry, there are 12 beaches in Athens, Piraeus and Attica unsuitable for swimming and where bathing is prohibited.
The Health Ministry published on Thursday, July 28, 2022, the areas of Attica where bathing in the sea is not allowed According to the relevant decision, this year there are 12 beaches in Attica where swimming is prohibited.
The decision comes after sampling carried out during the previous and current swimming season by Environmental Health Services of the Regional Units of the Regions.
These are the 12 points in the Attica basin where swimming is prohibited:
1. All ports, permanent berths, shipyards and ship breakers.
2. The whole area from the port of Piraeus to Perama.
3. The entire Skaramanga area up to the Aspropyrgos beach.
4. All Skafaki Ports, Stavrou of Aktis Themistokleos, in the harbor of the Cadet School and 100 meters on either side of the MIRAMARE Center.
5. In the area from the Northern end of Mikrolimanos to the Xirotagaros coast (marina limit).
6. At the left point of the “EDEM” coast near the “EDEM” restaurant and 100 meters on either side of the mouth of the Pikrodafni stream.
7. In a zone of 50 meters on either side of the outcomes of all draining pipelines.
8. In a zone of 200 meters on either side of the mouths of the outlet of the pipelines of biological wastewater treatment facilities, and of any other similar outlet, in accordance with prefecture decisions prohibition signs are to be placed or the local health authorities propose the placement of relevant markings.
9. In the area of the Shipyards and the port of Lavrio Bay up to the PPC with the exception of the area starting from the Helmi coast and continuing to the Thorikou area (Theatre Coast).
10. In Rafina along the entire length of the outer side of the leeward pier of the port.
11. In a zone of 200 meters from the outlet points of the pipelines of the biological purification facilities, which are located in the areas of Nea Makris and Marathon and in particular the THALA camps, and the Aviation-THAA camps. The ban does not include the swimming beach of KEDA/Z.
12. In the area of the Asopos River, 200 m on either side of its mouth.
Ministry of Health: Prohibition signs should be placed
The circular is reportedly communicated to the Directorates of Environmental Hygiene and Sanitary Control of the Regional Units of the Attica Region, from which the Ministry of Health requests to cooperate with the responsible representatives of the Municipalities and the corresponding Port Authorities or Organizations (EOT, etc.) for the implementation of the necessary preventive or repressive measures, as well as for the observance of hygiene conditions (changing rooms, toilets, showers, waste collection containers, etc.).
In cases where the beaches are unsuitable for swimming, relevant markings should be placed, i.e. prohibition signs at the points deemed unsuitable for swimming, by the people in charge of the coasts under the responsibility of the Local Government.
The Port Authorities are requested to monitor these points, so that the signs are placed in appropriate places and are not damaged.
PS In hope, the prohibition signs will be in their places before September or something…