The Greek Electricity Distribution Network Operator (HEDNO) will implement controlled rolling power cuts in Athens and Attica in order to avoid a blackout. The plan goes into force today, Friday, August 6, 2021.
“There will be rolling power cuts in Attica in accordance with the instructions of the Independent Power Transmission Operator (IPTO), which are essential to preserve the production/demand balance and ensure the smooth functioning of the electricity grid on the mainland,” HEDNO/DEDDIE said.
It warned the public not to use lifts to avoid becoming trapped and be aware that power could come back without warning, so that all electric devices should be considered potentially ‘live’.
The areas where the power cuts are planned are:
- Vrilissia, Halandri, Patima Halandriou, Penteli, Gerakas and Polydroso
- Voula, Vari, Vouliagmeni, Varkiza, Kavouri, Glyfada, Lagonisi, Agia Marina
- Kifissia, Pefki, Neo Iraklio, Metamorphosi, Marousi, Menidi, Nea Philadelphia, Lykovrisi, Galatsi, Ano Kypseli, Paleo Psychiko, Filothei, Nea Ionia, Agii Anargyri, Ilion, Nea Halkidona, Kamatero, Perissos, Ano Patissia
- Ilioupoli, Alimos, Kalamaki, Agios Dimitrios, Kallithea, Neos Kosmos, Nea Smyrni, Argyroupolis, Hymettus, Glyfada, Dafni, Kareas, Paleo Faliro, Elliniko.
- Markopoulo, Porto Rafti, Vravrona, Koropi, Kalyvia, Paiania, Keratea
- Kalamos, Varnavas, Afidnes, Polydendri, Malakasa, Ippokratios Politia
- Nea Makri, Marathonas, Schinias, Kato Souli, Mati, Agios Andreas, Pikermi, Rafina, Kallitechnoupoli, Dionysos
Ekali, Nea Erithrea, Agios Stefanos, Drosia, Stamata, Rodopoli, Dionysos, Anixi, Varybobi, Kryoneri
- Spata, Markopoulo, Loutsa, Koropi.
The duration of these cuts will depend on how the fire unfolds, with every effort made to keep them to a minimum.
The public are asked to avoid using energy-consuming appliances (ovens, washing machines, water heaters etc) at peak times, between 13:00-15:00 and from 18:00-22:00, and to set their air-conditioning units at 26C.
In its statement, DEDDIE did not give any time range for the power cuts in specific suburbs and areas.
PS good luck, then.