Friday , November 24 2017
Home / News / Society / Social / Elderly woman dies when device she used to keep her warm catches fire

Elderly woman dies when device she used to keep her warm catches fire

A 90-year-old woman died when the electric water bottle she used to keep her warm caught fire.

A fire broke out Sunday midnight in an 2nd floor apartment in Neapoli, Thessaloniki, northern Greece.

Neighbors who saw thick smoke coming out of the apartment called the Fire Service.

When fire fighters arrived the fire was almost extinguished by itself but the elderly woman had died, most likely after inhaling the toxic fire fumes.

According to local media, the fire broke out after the electric ‘water bottle’ the woman used to warm up caught fire, most probably due to a short-circuit.

The economic crisis of recent years has forced more and more people to use alternative means to warm their homes avoiding the high costs for heating oil or natural gas.

In an effort to come through the winter with as less money as possible, they often use very cheap devices like electric heaters, mattresses and blankets that do not fulfill security requirements. And apparently electric hot water bottles…

A few people died due to fumes from brazier in the last couple of winters.

One more harsh winter lies ahead of people who cannot afford normal heating. The 6th winter in a row.

Check Also

“Mama, we’re drowning!” Six missing in deadly flash floods while new rainstorm strikes West Attica

Six people are still missing in the flash floods that covered towns of West Attica …

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

*