Greek tax offices have seized more than than 1.72 million bank accounts in 2017, that is 12 percent more than 2016, the Independent Public Revenues Authority AADE said in a statement on Monday. The average must have been 700 seizures per working day…. in a country with a population of ten million, with estimated 8 million economically active people.
The overwhelming majority of citizens with overdue debts owes 500 euros to the tax office, the AADE said in its report for the year 2017.
In particular, from a total of 4,058,857 taxpayers with overdue tax liabilities in 2017:
- 525,758 owes up to 10 euros.
- 337,729 taxpayers owe 10-50 euros
The largest part of debtors to the Greek tax office is 1,336,423 people owing 50-500 euros.
The report also shows the following:
* Seizures throuhg the AADE mechanism amounted to 1,721,911 last year and increased by 12.6% compared to 2016.
* 87.7% of debtors (3,569,975 debtors) with a basic debt of less than € 5,000 hold 2,5% (€ 2,519.8 million) of the total outstanding balance at 1/1/2018.
* 1% of debtors (40,514 debtors) with a main debt of more than € 100,000 hold 89.2% (€ 89,216.1 million) of the total outstanding balance at 1/1/2018.
* In the intermediate categories of underlying debt from € 5,000 to € 100,000, 11.3% of the debtors (458,368 debtors) hold 8.2% (€ 8.234,1 million) of the total maturity at 1/1/2018.
* Last year, a total of 720,830 emails and / or telephone communications with taxpayers were made to have them comply with the obligation to pay arrears, which contributed in part to the compliance of 421,090 taxpayers (compliance rate 58.42%). Receipts from those compliant amounted to € 265,894,362 (collection rate 43.79%).