The spread of coronavirus in Greece continues in a rapid pace with 44 percent of the country’s regional units being placed at the highest Level 5 of the Epidemiological COVID-MAP, according to the weekly update on November 10. At the same time, several areas in Greek capital Athens are “boiling” with the virus outbreak.
Five more regional units were placed at Level 5 from Level 4 in the previous week. These are: Kozani, Karditsa, Halkidiki, Ioannina, Fthiotida
In Athens, the north and south sectors have been recording a high number of coronavirus infections and were placed to Level 3 “orange” form Level 2 “yellow” a week earlier.
Also at Level 3 were placed the regional units of Thesprotia, Preveza and Arta, in western Greece.
A total of 22 regions are reportedly in “Deep red” Level 5. These are:
For regions at the two highest Levels 4 and 5, Public Health measures are foreseen at the level of Region or Municipality.
1. Communication and detailed information of the local authorities for the special epidemiological characteristics of the area
2. Activation of a special EODY/ Civil Protection task force in order to:
• increase sampling controls for SARS-CoV-2
• carry out intensive and on the ground tracking
• increase the number of vaccinations as a matter of priority
Greece has been facing a constant increase of coronavirus infections, deaths and hospitalizations since mid-October, with cases to have hit one record after the other since October 30.
The so-called “fourth wave of the pandemic” has been putting the country’s public hospitals under immense pressure, with Covid-patients intubated outside ICUs.
Latest information on the coronavirus situation in Greece here.