The 18-year-old British tourist who fell in coma in Malia on the island of Crete died in a hospital in UK.
On July 11st, the young woman fell into coma after she had inhaled laughing gas while she was on summer vacation in Malia, a resort popular among young tourists.
According to initial reports, she had inhaled ‘laughing gas’ and had consumed alcohol on the last night of holidays on Crete. Police had reportedly spoken with several witnesses including two of the woman’s friends.
She was admitted in the hospital in Herakleio suffering from cerebral edema. Her condition was considered ‘serious’, she stayed in intensive care before she was flown to UK on Monday.
A week later, the University of Herakleio issued a statement, according to which the woman was infected with meningitis.
“The serious brain damage was caused by acute organ damage because of meningococcal septicemia,” the statement said.
On July 17th, she was flown to UK.
She remained hospitalized until her death.
Greek media reported about her death today, Thursday.